Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Fedora Core 5 (FC5) and VMWare Server

This tripped me up a bit, so I figured I'd document my solution. After installing VMWare server on FC5, you need to run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl. A few questions down, it asks you to help it compile a "suitable vmmon module for your running kernel", but it is looking in the wrong directory structure. To get past this step, I had to do the following:

yum install kernel-devel

or if you are running an SMP kernel:

yum install kernel-smp-devel

and then point the vmware-config.pl script to:

/lib/modules/[your kernel version here]/build/include/linux

where [your kernel version here] is the output of:

uname -r

As an example, at the time I write this, the directory would be:

/lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp/build/include/linux

HTH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home